A CSSA Chapter
St. Louis, Missouri
[ CONTACTS ]
Each monthly issue of the Henry Shaw Cactus Digest includes club updates, columns and articles by members on their favorite aspects of cactus and succulent culture. Follow the link below this item to read select Digest articles -- or join HSCS to receive every article in the print version of the Digest.
Things To Do -- February
By Barbara Rengers
1. If globular cacti like Rebutias and a few of the Mammilarias begin to show signs of flower buds, water when weather permits so they start to fill out after their winter rest.
2. Check for mealy bugs. If found, apply one of the insecticides. Bayer Rose and Flower insecticide is a good one or use a small brush dipped in alcohol.
3. If root mealies are found, put plants aside until March or April. Then remove from soil, wash roots with an insecticide, air dry for a few days and repot using fresh soil.
4. Good ventilation can help prevent high temperatures, which may start the growth process way too early.
5. Now is a good time to set up some type of files to record the development of your plants.
[ Current Articles From the Digest ]
HSCS Events | Member Photos | Join HSCS | Club History
Plant of the Month | Cactus Q&A | From the Digest | Home